The interesting thing about the article is the turn at the end of article, emphasizing that no Democrats will be dropping by the event. GOP candidates turn up volume for broadcasters:
"Some attending the NRB convention said they wished Democratic candidates also would come to Orlando.Good point Mr. McManus, but--as the saying goes, if you don't feel close to Evangelical Christians--the largest consumers of religious-themed broadcasting, then guess who moved? No doubt, there is an emerging bloc of government-is-the-answer voters who are increasingly asserting that they are also religious. However, that phenomenon merely demonstrates that a person's worldview--more than a person's religion, is the best predictor of how that person votes.
'In my view, there's often way too much Republican flavor at NRB,' said Rusty Wright, a California author, lecturer and radio host. 'I'd like to see more bi-partisanship.'
For Democrats, to write off potential evangelical supporters because of the historic support for the GOP is like Republicans writing off black voters for the same reason, said Erwin McManus, pastor of the Mosaic Community in Los Angeles and a convention speaker.
'I think the Democrats should have showed up,' said McManus, noting that he estimates that 80 percent of his 3,500-member congregation opposes the war in Iraq. 'I feel frustrated. I'm open to candidates in both parties. I would be far more excited and open about going to the Republican receptions if there were Democratic events as well.'"
On another note, I see that my favorite band--Little Big Town is performing today at Sea World . . . I hope that all of these candidates adopt some boondocks philosophy.