Thursday, March 1, 2007

Straight-talking tiger's stripes unchanged

For the record, I'm not a McCain fan. I wasn't impressed with his "Straight-talk Express," I resent his MSM eyelash-batting, I am offended by his Statist Campaign Finance "reform," and I don't believe that he has authentically "repented" from his Religious Right-bashing campaign of 2000. That being said, I do believe I would vote for him over any Democrat currently in the field.

But this ABCNews report (Political Radar) demonstrates McCain's knack for either intentionally or unintentionally marginalizing the GOP:
"''It makes no sense,' Mr. Lauderback said. 'McCain alienates the left by calling for the repeal of the Roe v. Wade decision ... but he then alienates the right by dissing their organizations -- refusing to speak at the recent National Review conference, the House Republican Study Committee retreat and now CPAC.''

Craig Shirley, a longtime Republican activist and Reagan historian, said 'skipping CPAC is a mistake for any Republican candidate.'

''Any GOP politician who doesn't understand this and the importance of this conference doesn't understand conservatism,' he said.'"
Indeed, these are "mainstream" Conservative organizations . . . certainly Reaganistic (?) organizations. I don't believe that his schedule could not accommodate addressing any of these events/audiences, and it is insulting that he is worried about being associated with such groups.