Thursday, November 29, 2007

WSJ on Huckabee's surge

This is a substantive report about Mike Huckabee's surge in Iowa ("Huckabee's Surge Stirs the Pot in Iowa" - WSJ.com). One thing that the article doesn't mention, but which is reflected in the latest Rasmussen poll report, is the level of commitment of Huckabee supporters . . . though every candidate is inclined to tout the devotion of his or her supporters, Conservative Evangelicals are pretty loyal, and that is where Huckabee's surge is coming from.

One other thing that stood out to me from the article. As I look at each of the Republican candidates, I think they are most appealing when they demonstrate their willingness not to pander. I think that is a strength of Thompson, of Giuliani and definitely of Huckabee. From the article, referring to Huckabee's latest TV ad in Iowa:
"I don't have to wake up every day wondering what do I need to believe," the former Baptist pastor says, as the words "Christian Leader" appear on the screen. He adds, "Let us never sacrifice our principles for anybody's politics."

That message appeals to Scott Filline, a pilot from Chicago, who stopped by the Des Moines Huckabee office Tuesday to pick up yard signs and literature. "Initially it was his religious views, because I'm a Christian, too," Mr. Filline said. "I like the fact that he's honest, not afraid to say what he believes."

No comments: