Thursday, January 24, 2008

Duncan Hunter endorses Huckabee

Huckabee has passed a significant milestone in his campaign for presidency: he has gained the endorsement of a former rival for the GOP nomination:
"Mike Huckabee got a welcomed endorsement today from one of his former rivals for the GOP nod to the White House. Rep.Duncan Hunter (R-CA) endorsed Huckabee, citing his”outstanding character and integrity.”"
I think this is significant on a number of fronts, but particularly in Huckabee's case, it counters the perception pushed by some in the GOP that his is an "outlier" candidacy.

And I think Hunter's statement is significant in that it focuses on Huckabee's character. I think a candidate's dependability and forthrightness are even more important in a campaign where issues (and past records) aren't providing an obvious standard bearer for the Party.

Cross-posted at Wisdomisvindicated.

3 comments:

11 Smiths for Huckabee said...

I noticed that you are from TN. What congressional district are you in?
www.11smithsforhuckabee.com

ned said...

At the risk of being recruited for something, the 7th. ;)

11 Smiths for Huckabee said...

Thanks for your reply! We are also in the 7th district, and you are right - we'd like your help! My dad and sister, Doug Smith and Melissa Smith, will be on your ballot as Huckabee delegates for the 7th district. Would you pass the word around to any 7th district voters and ask them to please vote for them? If you vote on a machine their names are on page 6, under the Seventh Congressional District Delegates. THANKS!
www.11smithsforhuckabee.com