This is an interesting article on the whole Darwinism debate from the debate last week. I was somewhat out of pocket all week, so I wasn't able to post, but I did notice a lot of buzz about the Evolution question in the GOP '08 debate.
First, I have to say that I resent that this question may have been handled differently than the others. From what I've heard, it was presented like a question at a defensive driving course or a museum tour--since when do you have candidates for the most powerful job in the World (I acknowledge this rhetorical question loses some of its punch when Dennis Kucinich is factored in) respond to a question by raising their hand?
Second, while I think it was intended (based on the context and the format) to be a "gotcha" question, it merely helped all the secularist, hardcore Democrats to discern which candidate they really, really would never vote for.
I've been amused to observe the condescension and arrogance (and out-of-touch-ness) of those who've attempted to vilify and/or ridicule the three candidates who dared to answer differently than Dem leadership or the MSM faithful. As this story from the Washington Post shows, these candidates are not alone, and certainly not in the minority. "Eager to Be Reagan's Heir, but Not Bonzo's Cousin." The writers certainly understated the facts when they said, " . . . a look at public polling on the issue reveals that the three men aren't far from the mainstream in that belief." I wonder how they would define "mainstream" when--as they reported in the article, a 2004 ABC poll found that 61% of respondents viewed the Genesis account of creation as "literally true."
The Concord Monitor reprinted an excerpt of the article under the fitting title "Creationists are not alone"--indeed.
Cross-posted at wisdomisvindicated.blogspot.com