I've always read the writings of John Derbyshire at arm's length . . . for different reasons his opinions don't quite resonate with me. Maybe because his views are coming from a different culture (he is a naturalized American from Britain, as best I recall); maybe because he is curmudgeonly (not that I don't like other curmudgeons' work, but he seems to say more than most that I have to just grin and bear--or ignore).
Anyway, I like much of what JD says in this bulleted stream-of-conscious column about last night's debate, ("Governor Huckabee, You're No Ann Coulter" -- National Review Online), but I have to disagree that Mike Huckabee's quip about a spendthrift John Edwards at a beauty shop is mean-spirited or anything approaching it . . . it was a joke for heaven's sake, and a $400 hair cut is certainly deserving of scoffery. Lighten up, Francis.
cross-posted at wisdomisvindicated.